so far there have been three that have helped me improve my game:

Cash Games vol 1 and 2 by Dan Harrington
Caro's Most Profitable Poker Advice by Mike Caro

one that was entertaining:

Every Hand Revealed by Gus Hansen

and one that didn't do anything for me at all:

Play Poker Like The Pros by Phil Hellmuth

--------

the Hellmuth book was the first one i ever read and that was like 5 years ago... i was just starting out. it didn't do much for me and it could've been because i was so inexperienced or it could've been because the book sucked. i haven't gone back and re-read it so i can't be sure.

i also picked up Doyle's Super System around that same time and it probably helped me at the time but it's been awhile so i dont remember much.

I know several who have read Harrington's books about tournaments, i only read the cash game books because i was trying to improve my cash game and it has. Also, Caro's book REALLY helped me... it put some things into perspective that I needed put into perspective and that coupled with experience and Harrington's books improved my game quite a bit.

finally, Hansen's book was entertaining... it might help some with their tournament play but honestly it was pretty much the story of one tournament and how Hansen played it... there was some theory in there but it isn't really an instructional book or anything.

ok, now you... Smile
m1rs
Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I picked up Helmuth's book on audio book (after I had the hard copy), and it was entertaining. There was something about HIM reading it that actually made it better. Helmuth's strategy is simple. Play the top 10 starting hands like they're gold. My issue with that is that pocket 7s are not gold hands. It is a GREAT hand to overvalue and go broke with.

I also got Phil Gordon's Little Green Book on audiobook and liked his advice on "first determine if I should raise, then if I should fold, and if I can't do either, then I call (or check)." It is interesting, since so often, we check as the first response.

A lot of my poker buds consider Harrington on Hold'em to be the holy grail.
Shamrock
Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:14 am Reply with quote
The best poker book I've ever read is "Elements of Poker". It's not going to teach you how to play poker, but it teaches you how to be a poker player. Beleive it or not, these are two vastly different things.

Recently finished reading Mike Matusow's book "Checkraising the Devil". Very entertaining read, and I now have an appreciation for "the mouth's" talent.

Certainly some of the most entertaining poker books I've read are "Positively Fifth Street", "One of a Kind" (the Stuey Ungar story), "The Professor, The Banker and the Suicide King".

As far as which are the best books from a technical perspective, there are so many it's hard to list them. Certainly the "Harrington on Holdem" volumes, "The Theory of Poker" and "Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players" both by David Sklansky, "Small Stakes Hold'em: Winning Big With Expert Play" is in my mind the best book out there on Small Stakes Limit Poker.

Ther are probably 10 or 20 others that fall closely behind. I find a lot more value in reading the forums at 2 + 2, FLopturnriver, and Deuces Cracked. There is an incredible amount of information and thoughts exchanged on their by novices, experts, and well known pros that is an incredible resource. It is up to the second and in many cases highly analytical and insightful. As I've heard Johnny Chan and Doyle Brunson both recently say...The game is ever evolving...this is not the same game we played 10 years ago.

Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
AHL Admin Joined: 26 Sep 2006 Posts: 1712 Location: Dallas, Tx.
I enjoyed Ace on the River!

Create your own AHL Signature
Shamrock
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Recent poker books I've read that were really excellent:

Decide to Play Great Poker. - Annie Duke and John Vorhaus

Kill Everyone. - Lee Nelson, Tysen Streib and Kim Lee

The Raisers Edge. - Tont Dunst, Tysen Streib, Lee Nelson and Bertrand "Elky" Grospellier

Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker Volumes 1 and 2 - Jonathan Little