AHLPoker Forums Forum Index

<  General  ~  Chopping

J_Bear
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote
What is everybody's opinion on chopping the pot... or even a percentage cut? What percent of people do you think chop or cut?

Personally, I think 1st place deserves more, so I would probably give 2nd about 25-30%

Also, I ask because last night was my 2nd time playing AHL freerolls. I took a 2nd place and was completely stiffed by the guy... didn't even buy me a beer! LOL Laughing

Last edited by J_Bear on Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 pm Reply with quote
If u want to chop ask when heads up.
Not after the fact! Idea
Shamrock
Posted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
Chopping is an individual decision. It should be based on a variety of factors. What is the prize you're chopping? How many are you trying to chop with? What are the blinds? How many BB's do you each have left? etc.

If it's heads up, both players have similar stack sizes and the blinds are high enough where there isn't much poker being played (it's either pushing or folding (as is usually the case in AHL Freerolls)) then luck becomes a much bigger factor, and most people will, and should chop.

I certainly can't see any point in chopping a $50 prize. A $100 freeroll might be worth chopping heads up, but certainly no deeper then that.

It should be noted that often short stacks are willing to chop, but when they are the big stack, they won't even consider it. Control of the chop is in the hands of the big stack.[/code]

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I hate Chopping, I hate the questions when you get to the end of a Freeroll and I believe AHL should handle it just like they've handled the 15,000 tournament. Of course with a smaller pot, say $100....1st should get $60, second $25 and 3rd $15 or something along those lines. That takes they stress out of being pushed to chop. It also makes the final something to play for. I chopped once and as soon as we started playing - no one cared about who won.

J_Bear wrote:
What is everybody's opinion on chopping the pot... or even a percentage cut? What percent of people do you think chop or cut?

Personally, I think 1st place deserves more, so I would probably give 2nd about 25-30%

Also, I ask because last night was my 2nd time playing AHL freerolls. I took a 2nd place and was completely stiffed by the guy... didn't even buy me a beer! LOL Laughing
sgx2000
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 am Reply with quote
i could be wrong but isn't there some kind of legal reason why they can't spread the winning out across 3 players?
Shamrock
Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
No legal reason. AHL Is just passing out one check though, so it's up to the players to work out the payments.

There is always the option to be like TJ Cloutier and never chop. He feels like a) he's the better player and b) it disrespects the players who are already out of the game to chop.