AHLPoker Forums Forum Index

<  General  ~  Dry Side Pots...To Bet, or Not To Bet...That Is The Question

Shamrock
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Like most situations in poker the answer to this question is typically "it depends".

Many people hold to the standard that they will not ever bet into a dry side pot, regardless of what stage of the tournament it is. There are other players, who could care less about a dry side pot. Why would there be such a differing opinion on this topic? I'm guessing it's because its easier to just settle on always doing it the same way. If you examine the reason behind the decision (are a thinking player) it becomes much clearer.

Early in a tournament,or when you are far from the money does it make sense to "check it down" when a player is all in, and there's a dry side pot. Not really. To go from 2,130 players left down to 2,129 players is irrelevant. In this situation it is far more important to accumulate chips then to check it down, in the hopes that collectively you can bust the all in player from the tournament. Does that mean you should bluff into a dry side pot? That's probably not a great idea, but certainly open to discussion.

When it makes the most sense from a meta game aspect to "check it down" and try to bust someone out, is late in a tournament. The point in the game where everyone who busts out moves everyone else up the pay scale for hundreds, thousands or millions of dollars.

By the way, it i never appropriate in a tournament to suggest to other players that "we should check it down". That clearly is collusion, and should result in a penalty.

Don't do things automatically. Be a thinking player. You will enjoy the game far more, and play much better.