AHLPoker Forums Forum Index

<  General  ~  Concerning, "I'm Ready To Go Home!!!"

The_Shark
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
After tonight, I feel as though something should be done about this statement. It does two things, makes one player more willing to call the player who said it, because they seem weaker; as well as throws off any type of read on what that person could be holding.
What always happens is that the person who says it will win the hand, and then not want to leave; and then they will end up staying longer.
I feel as though this is a form of bad play. If a player says they are ready to go, and use that as an advantage, they should have to muck their hand and leave if they are really ready to go. That's just my feelings on this, please let me know your feelings as well.

Sharky! Crying or Very sad
Shamrock
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight. You don't want anyone to say anything that makes someone more likely to call, or to say anything that might throw off any kind of read you may have. Why not mandate total silence?

That goes totally against the grain. If that were the rule, we would never have heard Scottie Nguyen tell Kevin McBride "You call this one and its all over baby." in the final hand of the 1998 Main Event.

Poker is about making better hands fold, and worse hands call. If someone uses the "I'm going home line" on me and it works shame on me. It won't work a second time.

To my knowledge the only restriction on what you can or can't say is covered in the Verbal Discussion section of the rules.

Verbal Discussion
Verbally disclosing the true contents of your hand will cause the hand to be killed and a penalty will be assessed. . A player cannot verify the contents of a live hand that was verbally disclosed. Only a director or floor person may check those contents after the hand is over, but before the pot has been awarded. If the hand is verified but is not in violation of the previous rule, the contents will not be revealed by the tournament director to anyone.
a. If a verbally disclosed hand is killed through verification after the hand, the pot goes to the best hand among the remaining players at the showdown, or to the last player to fold.
b. By definition, verbal disclosure must include the actual ranks or suits, or any synonym to the ranks or suits. Nicknames for specific two-hand combinations like "Big Slick" or "American Airlines" will also constitute verbal disclosure. Furthermore, only a definitive declaration will constitute a verbal disclosure. Language like "may", "might", or "could" may nullify a declaration as verbal disclosure.

These are the same rules used by the Tournament Directors Association, and used by most tournaments including the WSOP.

Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
AHL Admin Joined: 26 Sep 2006 Posts: 1712 Location: Dallas, Tx.
Shamrock makes a good point and while I for one do not care for a player that declares "I am ready to go home" I also know the reason behind it. The fact is that in poker the player has the right to make comments such as this and the flipside of that coin is I (as a player) do not have to call. When I am playing my A game (which is rare LOL) I call based on my hole cards combined with any read I may have on my opponent. I know how this can get under the skin of players and I agree but the day a player chirps "I am ready to go home" and I look down at Queens or better I will be happy to oblige his/her wish Wink

Create your own AHL Signature
Shamrock
Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I also think it's a BS angle to be shooting. It just so happens that its an angle thats within the rules. The only problem is if you make a rule against that, what's next? What if someone says "Fold. I have you beat." or someone says, "hmmm...you'll call if I make it 800...so I raise to 1,400".

In both cases they are trying to make you do something. Betting is the same way. Play your hand, and play the player. That's poker. The best talent you can have is being able to get a worse hand to call you for the absolute most they will. Or for a better hand to fold to you for as small a bet as you can. Otherwise lets all just ante up and roll out the flop, turn and river and see who wins.

As is usually the case, the biggest tell most people have is their betting patterns.

Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
So basically, every time I am ready to go all in, and have a strong hand; I am able to say, "Well, I'm ready to go home, so I am all in." I guess I'll be that guy from now on lol. If it's an advantage I can use that will be perfect.
Azreal
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm Reply with quote
for some reason, lots of people will show up, play a little, then need to go for some reason.... fine... but they won't turn in their chips. they try to play every hand saying they're 'giving away' their chips, but then they end up winning hands they never would have played. if you really meant it, call it down and then muck the last bet, muck a winning hand even if the other person shows first.... pisses people off when their good hand cracked by 7 3 and now the person stays. it's not a 'strategy' they're using, they meant it.... until they got chipped up.... game gets hurt worse by this than by taking some chips out of play.
ckrex
Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
AHL Admin Joined: 26 Sep 2006 Posts: 1712 Location: Dallas, Tx.
I agree but how can you possible make a rule in the game of poker limiting what they can and cannot state at the table. My other concern is when you do where does that road end? You would end up in a place where every month there would be another "rule" that had to be created.

As I said I do not care for players that feel the need to say this and strain the tables patience but more often than not the player is eliminated. Unfortunately the times that they hit and win the hand is what sticks in our heads and frustrates us as players. I just do not see a real solution to this problem that will not create a larger one.

Create your own AHL Signature
Shamrock
Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:59 am Reply with quote
Bottom line is people are going to do what they want. If they respect the game, and they have to leave they'll take their chips off the table. If they don't, they'll do as Azreal said. There's not much you can do about it.

Personally, every time I play AHL I look at it as a chance to work on my mental and emotional approach to poker. You ought to be able to play with anyone, playng however they want to play and somehow don't go on tilt. It has been one of the biggest helps in my approach to the game. When you push all in with AK suited for 30,000 and get called by someone holding KT offsuit, what more can you do but say nice hand, when he hits one of his 3 outs on the flop, and wins the hand. You played the hand well, he made a terrible play. He hit his yahtzee card. Get up gracefully and say "Nice hand sir". The funny thing is he has no idea how terrible a play it was he made. All he knows is he doubled up.

I'm totally convinced that what sets the great players apart from the good or average player is they're ability to stay focused, and not tilting in the face of adversity. Use AHL games to work on that aspect of poker.

Tilt less. Win more $$$$

Posted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:59 am Reply with quote
i'm confused now because my understanding has always been that if a player goes all-in or calls an all-in bet and states their reason for this is because they "just want to go home" that it is a forfeiture of their chips

i've seen chips pulled from the table before for this reason
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
"pushing all in and claiming you have to leave will not be allowed"

Rule #10 under Circuit Event Tournament Rules:

10. If you need to leave please inform your host and turn in your chips, pushing all in and claiming you have to leave will not be allowed

I think this rule only applies to a monthly circuit event. So if the player states they are all in because they need to leave (at a circuit event) their hand is dead and their chips will be picked up by the host.
Shamrock
Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
It looks like you're absolutely right. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for having a different set of rules for a Circuit Event. It would seem to me all that will do is confuse people.

That being said, the next time I play and I don't see Rules 1, 2. 6, 9, 13, 14, 15 and 16 broken it will be a first for me.

Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Shamrock brings up not just the going home rule but most if not all the rules are broken.

I was at a AHL venue reccently when a guy first hand reached into muck.
I said you know your not allowed to do that? DO WHAT HE SAID?
Then he said oh so your one of those poker police who never break any rules huh?
His next comment was rules are meant to be broken.
Everyone laughed at the table but me.
It became quite clear everyone knew everyone else but me.

As we kept playing some of the players contiuned reach into the muck,rabbit hunt show other players their cards ect..
I looked for the TD. He might have been in the rest room or out side not sure.

So I sunk to their level and started betting out of turn folding out of turn and turnning my cards over in any position if I was going to fold anyway.
Throwing my cards onto other players unprotected hands.

HEY YOU CAN'T DO THAT! WAS THE TABLES REPLY!
I THEN SAID I HOPE YOU GET MY POINT!
THEY TABLE AGREED AND WE PLAYED THE REST OF THE WAY THROUGH WITHOUT A PROBLEM.

In general your the ass at the table if you enforce the rules.
Or you just go along with the table untill a broken rule affects someones hand then that person gets mad. (thats how fights get started all the time)

Now I don't recommend sinking to everyones level like I did but my point was well taken.

NUTZSO
Shamrock
Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
Nice play Nutzo.

It would seem to be just plain common sense, I'd like someone to present a reason why they a) fold and hold, b) reach into the muck pile or c) rabbit hunt or d) need to be reminded it's their turn to act.. Are you really that selfish that you need to prove to everyone that you folded a good hand? Are you really that bad a player that you don't remember what cards you folded? Are you really that results oriented that you base your play on whether you would have won a hand you folded? If you aren't going to pay attention to the game, why play it?

And seriously, for the most part the TD's (or hosts if you want to call them that) do a great job. They have far more important things to be doing then making sure basic rules that everyone should have the common sense to understand are being adhered to.

Maybe it's time the players took the responsibility for the behaviour at the tables. The next time I play I guess I'll just make the following announcement at my table. "Good evening everyone. Isn't it great that we'll get to play poker here tonight. Let's all have a great time. While I'm not a rules Nazi, I'd just like to throw this out their for your comnsumption. Things like folding and holding, muck diving, rabbit hunting and constantly being reminded that its your turn to act, are disrespectful to not only the game of poker, but also to everyone at the table. The blinds go up very quickly, and the more time we spend doing those things, means we get that many fewer hands in each blind level. So let's all just have some fun, enjoy the competition and do our part to make this a great evening of poker. Please respect everyone and good luck to all."

I mean really? Is it too much to ask?

Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Shamrock wrote:
Maybe it's time the players took the responsibility for the behaviour at the tables.

agreed.

i'm a TD and i can count on one hand the number of times players have called me over to the table when players were breaking rules. it's always WAY after the fact that they tell me about it, usually after they bust out and then only because they blame the reason they got busted out on the rule breaking.

it's important that if players have an issue with rules being broken or with the behavior of a player at the table in general that they call the TD over WHEN it happens, not after. that way the TD can pull the player aside and talk with them right then or correct the rule breaking right then.

there will always be players who thinks it's no fun that someone wants rules to stop being broken but really the MOST FUN would be a night when no rules are broken and everyone just plays a clean game of poker.

top rules that i see broken that bother me the most as a player:

1) players other than the dealer reaching into the pot and touching the chips
2) burn cards being thrown into the muck
3) players instructing other players how to play their hands (usually in the form of insulting them and telling them what a donkey they are and then telling them how they would've played the hand differently)
4) players showing their neighbors their cards before they fold while there is still action to be had at the table
5) folding and holding... it's just dumb, no one cares what you folded... none of us want to see it after the hand is done.